Saturday, August 8, 2009

Avocado adversity

My baby boy is allergic to avocados. This comes as quite a shock to me, because Yoshi and I don't have any food allergies, so I didn't expect my children to have them either. Once Tai turned six months old, I thought I could feed him any fruit or vegetable, but I was mistaken.

The morning started off normally with Tai in his high chair noshing on cheerios while Maia and I ate our breakfast and I sipped my cup of coffee. Maia saw some avocados I had recently purchased and asked to eat one. I delicately cut one in half, gave her one part, and proceeded to feed Tai a couple of spoonfuls from the second piece. He appeared to like it and wanted more, so I fed him a little more.

The next thing I knew, poor Tai turned bright red all over his face and chest and started scratching his neck violently. I was very upset and worried because I know that any allergic reaction can, in its worst form, cause you to stop breathing. Luckily, that was not the case. Tai was just very red and itchy. Luckily, we had some Benadryl on hand, and a call to the pharmacy helped me determine the appropriate dosage. After taking the Benadryl, the redness went away in a few minutes.

Maia has also had a couple of allergic reactions recently, though with her it is more difficult to pin-point the offending food. She has also turned red and complained about being itchy all over. As a mom, these situations cause me to worry, because you never know when an allergic reaction will be severe. We have been lucky so far.

As for avocados, I really hope Tai outgrows his allergy so he can eat guacamole to his heart's content when he gets older. A google search also informed me that an allergy to avocados usually means a latex allergy as well, so we are going to be careful with latex exposure. Thank goodness for the internet!

1 comment:

ACE said...

Oh my goodness, that must have been so scary. I can't even imagine what it feels like to watch your baby struggle through an allergic reaction. I get freaked out when Justin starts to wheeze, I hate to see him struggle.

I've had allergies that I've grown out of (remember how I used to be allergic to pineapple and strawberries? I am not anymore!), long term allergies that have stayed (kiwi) and new ones that appeared out of nowhere as an adult (cats and dogs :( and dust mites, hay, etc.) It really is incomprehensible to me. I think all we know is that more people are allergic than ever before. That reminds me I have an appointment with the allergy specialist on Friday. :(