Making bread seems like such a domestic thing to do, so I decided to give it a try. I was very optimistic as I began the long yet not overly complicated process of baking bread from scratch. Overall, it was a positive experience, though there are some things I will change when I do it again. First of all, I apparently did not give myself enough time to get everything done, leading to less rising time and a flatter bread with a denser consistency. It was definitely a fun and educational activity for Maia. She was an excellent sport and I even let her stay up past her bedtime to sample the bread.

Yummy! Maia ate two pieces as soon as we cut it, but did not want to touch it the next day. I think it had something to do with the consistency. Yoshi tried to be nice and noted that it kind of resembled pound cake. I ate all of the bread throughout the week and made myself like it!
As you can see, the height of the bread is not quite right. It is a little too short and could have used an additional 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to rise. My neighbor who bakes bread all the time told me she sometimes starts the process in the morning in order for it to be done by dinnertime, so next time I'll definitely allocate more time. We didn't start until 5:30, and the bread wasn't ready to cut until well after 9:00.

We were so full of optimism!

A close up right before the final rise!

I thought that letting the bread rise this far was good enough, but it needed to get even bigger before I started baking it. Next time, hopefully our bread be even more delicious. It was definitely a great experience that made me feel a bit more domestic!
2 comments:
I'll stick with my own pound cake and some Ritter Sport. tee hee! :-p
In the "so full of optimism" picture, Maia looks so much like Yoshi! Wow, I had never noticed!
I'm planning on making that bread next week. As you know, there is no way I'll get it done this week.
A.
ps: Hallelujah! We got a slipcover from the store. I am so relieved!
Post a Comment