These pictures were taken one day last May. Maia's ballet class meets really close to a very nice park. On nice days, Tai and I would go to the park while we waited for her. Often, she would feel disappointed that she did not get to join us at the park. Her class was over around 5:15, so we would usually rush off to make dinner.
One day I decided to let dinner wait and let both kids enjoy the park together.
This was during a time that I was taking two difficult classes and had been working very hard on my coursework. I felt that we all needed a break to play together and have quality time. Typically I tell the kids to go play and sit down to watch and relax. This time I got into the sandbox with them and helped them dig huge holes. My clothes got so messy, and Maia's ballet leotard has never been the same, but that is one of our best memories. Suddenly, Tai got into one of the holes and we got the idea to bury him. Then Maia needed a turn. We all had an amazing time, and I felt restored taking a break from worrying about studying and writing.
The best part? It was all free and within a few minutes of our house. Sometimes I feel that the kids are bored unless I take them to destinations like the children's museum or zoo, but this goes to show that all they need is a little sand and a helping hand from mom.
On the way home, we picked up a pizza. The perfect end to a spontaneous evening of fun. And I didn't even have to cook dinner!
No comments:
Post a Comment