Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Lofty Goals

This morning, Maia and I were chatting before pre-school. She proudly told me that she had been helper of the week twice! Of course, I was thrilled for her, and suggested that she might like to be a teacher when she grows up because she enjoys school so much. She vehemently shook her head no, so I brought up some other occupations...nurse, doctor, bus driver, etc. She refused all of these as well.

What would she like to do with her life? She wants to be a Disney princess! Not just any princess, but a Disney princess. I am trying to take it in stride, but I'm really worried. Not that I don't think she would be a fabulous Disney princess, but because she identifies so much with the girly-girl things in life. I have always been the type of parent that didn't want to gender-stereotype, but I admit defeat in this department. My white flag is dangling; I have lost this war.

I guess she has plenty of time to change her mind! For a long time, when I would ask her what she wanted to be when she grew up, she would answer, "you." This always made me tear up and pray that I was being the best me possible for my little girl. I guess I'm ready to let go of that pressure and let her move on to new role-models.

1 comment:

Brownie said...

Disney princesses aren't so bad. At least she didn't say she wanted to be like Britney Spears of Lindsay Lohan. :-o