Monday, December 15, 2008

Visting Santa Claus

Yoshi's company has a children's party every year where they invite all the employees' children who are under sixteen to visit Santa and receive a small gift. They also provide lunch and activities. This year the event took place at the Boonshoft Museum, which is the chilren's museum here in Dayton. I think it is a very nice gesture, and the kids get very excited. Maia still has all the presents she has ever received from Daddy's Kaisha-no Santa (Company Santa), though she is always a bit scared of him.

Yoshi and Maia hang out right before it is time to visit Santa. She doesn't seem nervous.

Maia was willing to sit on Santa's lap, but she was petrified. I think she was shaking at one point. He asked her questions and she just sat there with a "I know I have to do this to get a present, but it's not enjoyable in any way" look.


I like the way she is grasping Santa's finger. Is that a keep your hands off me kind of gesture? Hopefully she will begin to enjoy visiting Santa more as she gets older.

5 comments:

Brownie said...

This reminds me of one of my favourite films, "Miracle on 34th St."

Happy Holidays!!!!

Roula said...

Happy Holidays to you too! Enjoy being home.

ACE said...

Am I the only one? I think it's kind of messed up that her name tag says "female". Is this some sort of PCness that results from a parent complaining that her Susie Lou was mistaken for a boy? If there is a better reason, please let me know so I can cross this off my annoyed list.

ACE said...

And I should mention (I think you know this already): I was mistaken for a little boy all the time when I was a kid but I still would take that over wearing a name tag that specifies my gender. :(

Roula said...

That is too hilarious! I never thought about the insult of wearing a nametag that specifies your gender.

The reason is because as the kids come up to visit Santa, the elves have to get a gift for them from the appropriate bin. The gifts are gender specific, so I think it saves the embarrassment of having to ask the parents if someone is a boy or a girl or even worse--guessing incorrectly. Could you imagine?

I guess this has been a problem in the past with infants, boys with long hair, and girls with short hair. Who would have thought?